Legislature passes resolution in honor of Harrington

House of Delegates, state Senate recognize murdered Virginia Tech student

The Virginia General Assembly honored deceased Virginia Tech student Morgan Dana Harrington with a House Joint Resolution offered Feb. 26 by House Majority Leader Del. Morgan Griffith, R-Roanoke County.

The resolution describes Harrington as "a beloved young Virginian whose life was full of promise for the future and whose heart was full of love for her family and friends" and mentions her dedication to "volunteering with children who were victims of domestic violence," as well as her pursuit of a degree in education at Virginia Tech.

Resolutions honoring Virginians who have passed away are introduced each Friday while the General Assembly is in session, but Griffith said the Harrington memorial resolution is unique because it was signed by every member of the House and Senate.

"Everyone was shaken by the circumstances of Ms. Harrington's death," Griffith said.

Harrington disappeared Oct. 17 during a Metallica concert at John Paul Jones Arena, and her body was found Jan. 26 at Anchorage Farm, just 10 miles south of Grounds. Police officials since have ruled her death a homicide and continue to search for suspects.

The idea for the resolution was brought to the House majority leader by a friend of the Harrington family. Before introducing the resolution to the General Assembly, Griffith made sure the family was on board with it because, he said, "sometimes in these cases, it just brings the family more pain." The Harringtons told Griffith they were in favor of the proposal because they believed it would call attention to the shortcomings of the laws and procedures that structure search efforts for kidnap victims who are older than 18.

"If I've given any peace or solace [to the Harringtons], then I'm humbled to have served them," Griffith said.

Jeff Ryer, press secretary for the majority leader, said in addition to bringing a small semblance of closure to the community and her family, the resolution was designed to honor Morgan Harrington and acknowledge the tragedy of her death.

After the resolution was passed, Dan Harrington said in an e-mail that the family was "most appreciative of Delegate Griffith's public acknowledgment honoring our daughter's life. It is through such gracious gestures that Morgan's life continues to have meaning"