Team overcomes Tigers at home

Although it suffered a slight scare, the No. 1 Virginia baseball team came out ahead in its matchup against Towson yesterday evening at Davenport Field, triumphing 8-5.

Things started out rocky, as freshman starting pitcher Branden Kline allowed seven hits and four runs in just three innings of work. Six innings of three-hit, one-run baseball by the Cavalier bullpen, however, stifled the Tiger offense the rest of the way.

Virginia (21-4) slowly began to chip away at Towson's (5-19) 4-0 lead with three runs in the bottom of the third and fourth innings. But the Cavaliers exploded for a five-run fifth, highlighted by junior first baseman Kenny Swab's bases-loaded, two-RBI double. Swab hit 3-for-3 on the night in the clean-up spot. Junior center fielder Jarrett Parker's ground out to shortstop scored junior right fielder Dan Grovatt, and Swab eventually reached home plate on sophomore catcher John Hicks' sacrifice fly. Freshman designated hitter Stephen Bruno added to the hitting frenzy with an RBI-single.

Sophomore pitcher Shane Halley picked up the win with three innings of relief, scattering two hits while striking out two. Junior closer Kevin Arico picked up his ACC-best ninth save of the season with a scoreless ninth. Senior shortstop Tyler Cannon's 16-game hit streak came to a close with an 0-4 night.

-compiled by Andrew Seidman