UBE announces new class council leadership

Mercado, elected Third Year Council vice president, edges out opponent Kebede by one vote margin, 664 to 663

As the past week of voting came to a close yesterday night, the University Board of Elections announced the winners of this year's Class Council elections.

Charlie Miller and Suraj Mishra, who served as First Year Council president and vice president, respectively, now hold the same positions on Second Year Council. Nancy Park secured the Third Year Council presidential seat, and Natalia Mercado won the Third Year Council vice president position. John Buttram and Yassee Pirooz, who both ran uncontested, were elected president and vice president of the Fourth Year Trustees.

Despite his possible advantage as the incumbent, Second Year Council President Charlie Miller said he was surprised about the results of the election. It was a "very competitive campaign," he said.\nSome of Miller's goals include developing a class handbook and improving the election process.

Suraj Mishra, similarly, said he was "nervous and excited to continue working with the class."

During the upcoming year, Mishra said he hopes to "unite the class" by planning events that appeal to all second-year students, regardless of whether they live at less central housing locations.\nThird year Council President-elect Nancy Park was "ecstatic" about winning the election.

She said she will meet with Vice President-elect Mercado at Alumni Hall this summer to brainstorm ideas about how to improve the second-year class experience and how "the class of 2012 can be remembered."

Mercado beat her opponent, second-year College Abebe Kebede, by a mere one-vote margin - 664 to 663.

"[It was] totally unexpected - it was so close," she said.

Buttram, on the other hand, ran unopposed and said he was very happy but "not all that surprised" at his win.

"It's good to have some closure on the election to see where the pieces will fit," he said.

Buttram and Pirooz will spend Spring Break reviewing the applications and conducting interviews for next years' trustees. Buttram said they are hoping for "lots of applications to increase the pool to choose from." He expressed his desire to "find new things to get people excited" but also create some career and graduate school-related events for the benefit of the fourth-year students.\n"We want the class of 2011 to have the chance to leave U.Va with the best possible experience," he said.