Board names art precinct for Casteens

The University's Board of Visitors officially named the arts precinct near Rugby Road the Betsy and John Casteen Arts Grounds during a special meeting at the Boar's Head Inn last Thursday to honor the couple's service to the University.

The area is located west of Rugby Road in the vicinity of Carr's Hill, and many facilities that will be included in the area are undergoing renovation or construction.

Casteen has seen the completion of a number of upgrades to arts facilities on Grounds, including a restoration of Fayerweather Hall, renovations and expansions of Campbell Hall, gallery renovations in the University Art Museum, Ruffin Hall and the Culbreth Road Parking Garage, according to a University press release.

The first phase of ongoing construction to the area will include an expansion of the drama building, a new band rehearsal hall, the Arts Commons and an expansion of the University Art Museum, the release stated.

About $6.1 million has been collected from 211 donors to finance arts buildings undergoing renovation or construction.

"As envisioned, the Arts Grounds will have the power to convene the entire University community and galvanize its collective imagination by providing a showcase for great art and living artists, as well as a forum for new research and innovation," University Rector John "Dubby" Wynne said in the release.

-compiled by Virginia Terwilliger