Officials arrest 45 Foxfield attendees

Public intoxication, underage possession of alcohol, cocaine possession among charges issued at races

This past Saturday at the Foxfield Races, police arrested 45 patrons for 51 different offenses, according to an Albemarle County Police Department press release. Sixteen of the offenders are students at the University, said Sgt. Peter Mainzer of the Albemarle County Police Department.

The majority of the arrests were made for public intoxication, while other charges included disorderly conduct, underage possession of alcohol and possession of cocaine, the press release stated.

An attendee who was not a student at the University was charged with cocaine possession after an officer either observed or smelled marijuana, conducted a search of the attendee and found the cocaine.

In total, 26 people were issued court summons and released.

"In the big scheme of things, this is kind of an average year," Mainzer said. "There were more arrests this year than last year, but this was less than the year before."

Violators were processed at an arrest site at the east gate of the racing grounds, where officers submitted evidence that will be used against the offenders in court, Mainzer said.

Albemarle County Police Sgt. Darrel Byers admitted that although many attendees consume alcohol at the races, police officers focused their attention on "those persons who physically couldn't take care of themselves."

Albemarle officials said Foxfield is an event in which a full police force is required.

"If you're not working the shift, you're working Foxfield," said Mainzer. "No one has the day off; everyone is working."

Present Saturday were 70 officers from the Albemarle County Police Department, 40 officers from the Albemarle County Sheriff's Office, 17 from the regional jail, 15 state troopers, 12 from the Virginia Department of Alcohol and Beverage Control and three to four University police officials, Mainzer said.