Unlocking Morality with Magnets

Scientists at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology believe they found a way to alter morality. Applying a strong magnetic field to the right tempero-parietal junction, thought to be the moral center of the brain, MIT Scientist Liane Young and her colleagues demonstrated that a magnetic field separates intentions from expected outcomes. For example, the group used a scenario where a boyfriend walked his girlfriend across a bridge with two different intentions: one, no harm intended; or two, to break her ankle. They found that the magnetic field made it harder for the subject to determine the boyfriend's intention and instead made judgments based on the outcome. Hence, if a situation had good intentions but bad outcomes, then a test subject would focus more on the situation's bad outcome. To quantify their data, test subjects ranked the "moral acceptability" of the scenario on a seven-point scale. Relative to control subjects, differences came down to one point, indicating that the experiment did not completely remove the sense of morality. In addition to providing insight into how morality is organized in the brain, Young believes the finding could have other implications. The magnetic field can lead juries to determine guilt based on the outcome rather than a criminal's intentions. Although far more research must be conducted before discovering the full extent of its applications, the finding nevertheless provides a powerful link between the moral mind and physical brain.

-compiled by Aradhya Nigam