Virginia pitching shines to help team take second place in ACC

Mitchell stars in series against N.C. State, wins 21st game of season

In last weekend's series against N.C. State, Melanie Mitchell showed what a difference one arm can make. Throwing 17 strong innings, the freshman pitcher shined on the mound as she helped Virginia softball steal two of three games against the Wolfpack, sneaking the Cavaliers into second place in the ACC.

"That was probably one of the more important series," coach Eileen Schmidt said. "All of them are important, but we were battling for second place today, so it was a great game and a great series."

The full intensity of the series could be seen in the all-out duel that launched it, as Mitchell traded scoreless innings with another of the ACC's premiere pitchers, N.C. State senior Lindsay Campana. That all ended, however, when N.C. State sophomore left fielder Landon Warren scored an unearned run in the sixth. But Virginia immediately responded with a run of its own, as junior first baseman Lauren McCaskey scored on senior right fielder Sarah Tacke's triple.

As the game went to extra innings, both pitchers continued to put zeroes on the board, all the way until the bottom of the 10th. At that time, freshman second basemen Alex Skinkis singled, and Campana intentionally walked Tacke. Virginia sophomore Giannina Cipolloni made her regret that decision. With two outs, the center fielder raked a home run, resulting in a Cavalier a 4-1 walk-off win.

"We were pretty pumped," Tacke said of the Cavaliers' second straight extra-inning victory. "I mean, you have to be; that's an exciting win."

Such excitement became possible thanks to Mitchell's stellar 10 innings without an earned run, during which the Wolfpack managed to post just five hits.

"You kind of worry if you're wearing her out, but [Mitchell's] perked up and gotten some gas in the tank, and that's pretty exciting for us," Schmidt said. "It's amazing when you get big wins how that gives you a little push."

Sophomore pitcher Stephanie Coates started the second game, giving Mitchell a chance to recharge. Without their ace, however, the Cavaliers struggled in the circle, surrendering nine runs by the end of the game. N.C. State sophomore pitcher Stephanie Call threw a complete game shutout, all while limiting the Cavaliers to just two hits. She also gave herself plenty of run support, hitting a solo shot in the second inning and a deflating two-RBI triple in the sixth.

Virginia's offense continued to slump in the third game, but Mitchell lifted the team to a 1-0 win. Call had a no-hitter working, until junior catcher Alison Pittman's single broke it up in the fifth inning. In the sixth inning, Koren's RBI hit gave the Cavaliers the only run they would need.

"Yesterday I felt a little tense, so I was just trying to stay calm," Koren said. "I kept telling myself to push through the ball, see the ball and stay relaxed in there."

Mitchell delivered her second knockout performance of the series. She finished with the complete game shutout, allowing just four hits and no walks, while striking out nine.

"Melanie did a good job of keeping us in the game until we could find a way to get it done," Schmidt said.

The Cavaliers will see if they can carry this success through the week, as Radford heads to Charlottesville this Wednesday.