Catching up with Matt Schaub

Former Cavalier great, current Pro Bowl quarterback talks Verica, Groh and all things Virginia football

What did you think of Al Groh getting fired?\nIt was a tough situation for him. After the past few years, coach and I have become close. We still keep in touch to this day. I talked to him after that, but at some point you have to move on and go somewhere else. It worked out for coach. He is in a good situation and a good spot. Bringing in coach London, from my days [at Virginia] was a good hire. He is a guy who knows the area recruiting-wise and is a great motivator. I think it will be a good situation.

Do you still keep in contact with any of the players or coaches from when you were at Virginia?\nI still keep in contact with a few of the coaches, not so much on a regular basis - just a couple of times a year. I've got a lot of buddies that I keep in touch with from time to time: Ryan Sawyer, Zac Yarbrough. There are a number of guys that I still keep in contact with pretty regularly.

What advice would you give Mike London for his first year?\nI think it's pretty simple: Just win a few more games. Right now it's just about the young guys going and developing the talent and players they have there. I think that is one thing coach Groh did really well - was bring in a lot of young talent to push the veterans and push the upperclassmen which ultimately made the football team better. I think coach London, being the recruiter that he is, will bring some good talent in, motivate them and get a system in. The offensive system has changed in the last couple of years. If they could nail down the system they want to run and get the talent that fits that mold each year, it is a place that should be and will be a great football tradition for years to come.

What are your thoughts on the team this year?\nI expect them to be pretty good. They've got the talent. They've got the coaching. As long as they play consistent, they should be fine. They had too many peaks and valleys last season. I think they should be all right.

What advice do you have for [senior quarterback] Marc Verica?\nJust take control of the offense. He has played a lot of football and I have followed him each year. I thought he has played pretty well. He has had some rough patches; we all have. I remember starting out my sophomore year and having some rough games. If you just keep plugging and keep working, and as a senior you take command, the offense and the team guys will respect you. They will play hard for you, and that is the number one thing.

What about for the rest of the team?\nBuy into what the coaches are telling you. Buy into the program. Bust your tail 100 percent of the time. Off the field, keep your nose clean: That is one thing some of what I have heard about and read over the last couple of years that some of the guys off the field aren't taking care of their business. You can't have that at that school. There are too many good things going on to have a bad reputation. Keeping your nose clean, going to class and then busting your tail on the field. Good things are going to happen to you if you do the right thing.

What was one of the most valuable things that you took away from playing at Virginia?\nAside from the on-the-field stuff, being a good person. A good character guy. A community guy. That goes way beyond the Xs and the Os. If you are a stand-up guy, if you are true to your word, if you are respectful, I feel like you can do a lot of good things on the football field.

-compiled by Ben Gomez