Cavs draw with Penn State, defeat UConn

Lencyzk

The Virginia women's soccer team had a mixed bag of results this weekend, as the Cavaliers tied No. 11 Penn State 1-1 and defeated Connecticut 1-0 in double overtime.

During the Cavaliers' first game of the weekend, the Nittany Lions took a one-goal lead at the beginning of the second half, but the Cavaliers rallied back after junior forward Lauren Alwine's goal in the 87th minute to force overtime. Despite multiple chances to win for either side, including Alwine's breakaway during the second overtime, Virginia settled for a draw.

During the team's second game, the Cavaliers got off to a lackluster start, scoring no goals in all of regulation. It was not until the second overtime that the team began to make headway when senior forward Meghan Lenczyk scored on a penalty kick in the 106th minute for the win.

The crowd for the game against Penn State was 3,912, the largest in Penn State women's soccer history, and the largest crowd to ever see a Virginia women's soccer regular season game.\nBut despite what the schedule may classify the game as, the Cavaliers are still in training mode.

"We've still got some games coming up, and you just don't have enough time