British energy house hopes to improve energy efficiency

In an attempt to study energy consumption and develop solutions for greater energy efficiency, British researchers at the University of Salford are building an "energy house" that can simulate weather. The Salford Energy House is designed to resemble a type of terrace-style house in which 2 million Britons reside, but it will also have a three-story snow globe shell that can simulate rain, snow, wind and different humidity levels. The globe will allow researchers to control environmental conditions needed to test building materials and systems that can support low carbon emissions in the energy house. In addition, researchers plan to collaborate with psychologists, sociologists and health experts to create sustainable solutions for overall energy use. They hope to investigate if a person's assessment of temperature changes with different colors and wall coverings and if real-time energy usage meters lead to different energy consumption practices. In the context of the United Kingdom's current policy focus on energy, findings from the Salford Energy House may help address how the country will move on to a new energy future.

-compiled by Jennifer Tran