Cavaliers open against Spiders

London meets former team in debut as head coach; Virginia looks to win first season-opener since 2005

This Saturday, when the Virginia football team takes the field for the first time with coach Mike London, the senior members of the squad will have their final opportunity to accomplish a goal they have not yet managed during their collegiate careers: win a season-opener.

The last time the Cavaliers kicked off a season in the win column was 2005, when they defeated Western Michigan. Since then, Virginia has lost four straight season-openers, including last season's demoralizing loss to William & Mary.

Amid a year already marked by significant changes, the Cavaliers hope to buck this pattern of losing and usher in a new era of Virginia football with a victory.

"We're just humble and hungry right now," senior cornerback Ras-I Dowling said. "[We're] just waiting to get out there and perform. The last time we really suited up and played another team was Virginia Tech last year, so it's been a while just working out, then spring ball, then working out, then getting into camp. Now Saturday, we get to face an opponent."

Saturday's foe is not just any opponent, however. Richmond gave London a launching point for his career as a head coach. During his two seasons with the Spiders, London posted a 24-5 record and led his alma mater to the 2008 FCS championship. London recruited and coached many of the players who will be standing on the opposite sideline, further stirring the emotions running through the new coach's head as he prepares for his Virginia debut.

"I would not be human if I sat here and said it's another game," London said. "It's not another game. It's my alma mater. I spent years there as a coach and a player and I won championships there with that team ... But as things happen sometimes, opportunities and doors open that you take the most of an opportunity, and now I'm here wearing the orange and blue."

Familiarity runs deep on the Spiders' sideline as well. Five of Richmond's coaches held positions at Virginia during last year's 3-9 season. Of particular note is new coach Latrell Scott, who served as the Cavaliers' wide receivers coach before filling the void left by London last winter.

Considering last year's loss to William & Mary, several players said they are fully aware they cannot take any FCS opponent lightly. Apart from winning the 2008 FCS title, the Spiders took home last season's CAA championship and have won 12 consecutive road games - the second-longest streak in college football.

Although the Spiders lost 15 starters from last season's 11-2 campaign, they did add an offensive weapon who could lead them to a fourth consecutive postseason.

In January, redshirt junior quarterback Aaron Corp transferred to Richmond from Southern California. Last year, Corp was expected to replace current New York Jet Mark Sanchez under center until he suffered a broken leg in camp. Looking for a fresh beginning, Corp decided to move east to play for a team that averaged 194.8 yards through the air last season.

If there is one thing the Cavaliers know how to do well, however, it is smothering their opponent's passing game. Last season, Dowling and Co. ranked 21st in the nation in pass-defense, allowing a meager 184.6 yards per game. The new 4-3 defensive alignment should only help the talented secondary by providing more pressure up front.

On the opposite side of the ball, senior quarterback Marc Verica assumes control of an offense that consistently struggled last season. The fifth-year starter has thrown for 2,193 yards and eight career touchdowns and has started 10 games for the Cavaliers. As the only quarterback on the roster with collegiate experience, Verica will lead a new pro-style offense that looks to strike a balance between run and pass.

Sophomore tailback Perry Jones and senior tailback Raynard Horne will share duties in the backfield, while senior tight end Joe Torchia hopes to make a difference downfield.

"It's a tremendous offense, and it's a lot of fun to play in," Verica said. "It is an NFL offense, and there's a stigma attached to that, that people might think it's super complex, and it's hard to grasp and it might be too complicated for the college game, but that's not the case at all. Once you learn it and once you're exposed to it and you're in it day in and day out, it becomes pretty easy."

Armed with this new offense and a positive attitude, the Cavaliers will try and prove that this is truly a new era for Virginia football. Kickoff is scheduled for 6 p.m. at Scott Stadium.