Rested squad aims to bounce back

Rejuvenated after bye week, Cavaliers look to rebound against struggling in-state VMI

Saturday afternoon's clash between Virginia and VMI will be the schools' first since 1991, but the Cavalier coaching staff's familiarity with the old in-state rival could play a vital role in the game's outcome.

First-year defensive coordinator Jim Reid will face VMI for the first time since his stint as the Keydets' head coach during the 2006 and 2007 seasons, and coach Mike London will attempt to defeat VMI for his third consecutive year as a head coach, all as the teams renew their long-dormant rivalry tomorrow in Scott Stadium.

VMI could face an uphill battle to compete with the Cavaliers, whose rock-solid start has unsettled the pundits who pigeon-holed the team into the cellar of the ACC at the beginning of the season.

After overwhelming Richmond 34-13 during opening weekend, Virginia braved a cross-country trip and a late kickoff to nearly knock off traditional powerhouse Southern California, eventually falling just 17-14 in Memorial Coliseum. London and Reid have infused the defense with a tenacity and discipline that has stifled opponents thus far, allowing just 15 points and 331 total yards of offense per game.

"I think being able to play well defensively will give you an opportunity to play in games like that on the road and at home," London said. "This week, we spent some time eliminating those things that can cause you to lose by not knowing who you have on different coverages, being in the right gap. We spent a lot of time on that, so I know they're ready to play."

The Cavalier offense will look to maintain its balanced attack while limiting some of the penalties and miscues that have plagued the team in this young 2010 campaign. Senior quarterback Marc Verica has displayed poise under center, throwing for 473 yards and just one interception during his first two games. Senior tailback Keith Payne has spearheaded the unit's multifaceted running game, leading the team with an impressive five touchdowns.

Not everything has run smoothly for the Virginia offense, however. The team's shoddy 38 percent third-down conversion rate and abundance of penalties - now standing at 14 - through the first two games have halted several otherwise promising drives. The Cavaliers converted just four out of 15 third downs and were penalized nine times for 101 yards against USC alone.

"If you move the chain a couple times there, then you give yourself a chance to hang onto the ball and the possession," London said. "Eliminate those things that can hurt you, that's what we're looking to do this week."

The Keydets - who play in the Football Championship Subdivision and have not had a winning season since 1981 - limp into Saturday's game reeling from a humiliating 45-0 defeat at the hands of William & Mary. After an encouraging 48-6 season-opening win against Lock Haven, VMI found itself thoroughly demolished from start to finish against the Tribe, amassing just 239 yards of total offense and committing five turnovers. Nevertheless, both London - who coached Richmond against the Keydets in 2008 and 2009 - and Reid possess some respect for the VMI squad.

"These players ... are conditioned to the positive," Reid said of his former team, which still features many of his recruits. "They will never, ever, ever quit on anything."

Redshirt junior quarterback Cameron Jones leads a VMI offense that has made the transition from last year's triple-option formation to a more-traditional pro-style offense. Jones enters the game with meager early season numbers, having completed just 14 of 38 pass attempts and accumulated 216 yards through the air. The Keydets are also fielding two other quarterbacks - freshmen Adam Morgan and Eric Kordenbrock - who have combined for 214 yards and two touchdowns. Standing in at just 5-foot-6 and 180 pounds, senior running back Gabe Itoka leads the squad's ground game, averaging 46.5 yards per contest.

Ultimately, Saturday's game will be an opportunity to take one more step in repudiating the dismal preseason predictions for Virginia's 2010 season, and this reality is not lost on the Cavaliers.

"I think I speak for everybody: We want to get back on the field and have another chance to get a 'W,'" junior linebacker Aaron Taliaferro said. "Everybody's hungry right now."

Virginia boasts a 55-23-3 advantage all-time against VMI. Kickoff is set for 1:30 p.m.