Unbeaten Cavs thrash Richmond in 8-0 rout

Seniors Farrelly, Lencyzk each supply two goals to spearhead offensive effort

If you blinked, you might have missed it.

Seemingly in a flash, the Virginia women's soccer team dominated Richmond last Friday, scoring three goals in 15 minutes to start the first half, then going on to notch two goals in five minutes to begin the second on the way to an 8-0 victory.

"That certainly wasn't what we were expecting - we've played them in the spring, and they've been awfully good," Virginia coach Steve Swanson said. "I think we caught them on a good day when they didn't have their leading scorer."

Seniors such as forward Meghan Lenczyk and midfielder Sinead Farrelly spearheaded the Cavalier attack, scoring two goals apiece, while three midfielders - senior Lindsey Miller, freshman Amber Fry and junior Katie Carr - each contributed one. The Spiders did not exactly help themselves out, as they contributed a goal when a shot by freshman forward Gloria Douglas was saved and then accidentally cleared into the back of the net.

"I thought we scored some very nice goals tonight," Swanson said. "Most of them would have gone in against anyone. Meghan's goal was first class, and Sinead had a couple of goals that were first-class."

Lencyzk's two goals on the night brought her total up to seven for the season, tying her total from all of last year. Always a leader, however, Lenczyk, attributed her fast start and success to her teammates.

"Honestly, I think a lot of it comes from how our team is playing," Lencyzk said. "Our team is playing great, moving the ball, and that's what's giving me opportunities."

It also was a milestone goal for Carr, a redshirt junior, who scored her first career goal on a flick header in the box.

"Honestly, it was a long time coming," Carr said. "I think I was kind of feeding off the momentum that we had - I came in kind of late in the half and our team was just owning the other team. We were moving the ball around, playing really good soccer, so it was exciting to be able to actually help my team out and get that goal."

The lopsided score also gave Virginia a chance to give some of its bench players - who the coaches emphasize they do not refer to as "second-string" - significant time on the field during the game.

"I feel that we have players that maybe don't start for us that could very well start at any moment," Swanson said. "There's very little difference, if any difference, between our players that come off the bench and [those who] start. I think it depends on the team we're up against, and the situation. Our players have done a good job of not being concerned about whether they're starting or not; it's just their minutes and what they do with those minutes."

Virginia will next play in the Virginia Nike Soccer Classic this weekend in Charlottesville, where they will face off against Texas and Boston University. The long break gives the Cavaliers a chance to step back and evaluate the season thus far.

"It's a good time to develop our fitness a bit more; based on last weekend's games, I think there was something there we could see," Swanson said. "I think we need to continue to work on some defensive things, especially with our back four, and you know I think you often don't have enough time to get some things down, some situational things down, some free kick things, so hopefully we can get all this in the next week. We have some time not only to rest but to come back and work hard before the next game"