Oh, the humanities

Despite sour economic conditions, universities must preserve the liberal arts

We live in an innovative world. Everyday, someone somewhere, is developing new technology to expand the global frontier. As foreign nations widen the gap in mathematics and science, the United States is struggling to keep pace. To rival the foreign competition, primarily from China and other Asian nations, the Department of Education and the Obama administration have placed an increased emphasis on science, technology, engineering and mathematics (STEM) education. Although STEM learning is becoming more important in higher education, studies in the humanities should not be disregarded.

The strength of American education has historically been rooted in the prominence of the liberal arts. As times change and technological advancement precedes cultural understanding, the United States should not let its academic legacy in the humanities fade. A humanistic education has practical value which demands its future survival even amidst global economic change.\nAs human beings, we have an undeniable need to understand our past, present and future. Our understanding of who we are shapes our everyday lives and influences our every decision. For thousands of years, academia has emphasized the importance of the humanities, with learning focused on understanding the human condition through the study of core disciplines such as the arts, literature, history, philosophy, religion, language and the classics. "The Renaissance Man" (or woman) was capable of excelling in a vast range of different disciplines. Thomas Jefferson, for example, spoke six languages, played the violin, was an avid inventor, scientist, politician, naturalist and writer. In the past, education treasured a well-rounded curriculum - one in which all academic disciplines eventually intersected and complemented one another.

As the international community shifts to a technology-based economy, the humanities are forced to redefine their relevance and importance in American education. The argument is that the expense of a humanities degree fails to pay-off in the modern job market. In recent years, higher education has been consistently propelled by corporate objectives and the desire for financial competitiveness. The faltering economy only further necessitates this trend.

Learning for learning's sake has long been tabled for a wholly career-centered academia where university and major requirements guide undergraduate course loads. The profession of choice for most is something profitable, not necessarily desirable. As a result, the emphasis has shifted from the liberal arts to more lucrative fields, such as engineering, science and finance. President Obama recently said, "We are emphasizing math and science education, especially for women, young girls, and minorities, who often under-perform in those fields."

The movement away from the humanities is best seen in higher education, where universities have financially scaled back on liberal arts education in favor of funding science and math curriculum. For example, the State University of New York at Albany recently slashed the French, Russian, Italian, Classics and Theatre majors. Like the Obama administration, many universities have stressed fields of study that produce higher financial returns, such as the physical sciences, where scientific progress promises economic revenue. This approach is wrong and sets our nation at a global disadvantage. Our future does not lie singularly in scientific advancement, but also in cultural awareness. Yet even as events such as the Afghanistan and Iraq wars necessitate the continued prominence of a humanities education, Americans are shifting their focus toward STEM disciplines.

Take a look at the typical schedules of first-year students at the University: it seems almost everyone is either on the pre-commerce or pre-medicine track, arduously cramming night after night in the library to fulfill the necessary prerequisites. Why? Because these fields are prestigious and competitive, and the pay grade is high compared to other professions.\nWhen it comes down to it, college students often pursue the major or career fields that lead to economic security and higher earnings. The assumption that a major in the humanities is not as high paying as a major in mathematics, engineering or science holds true, according to a National Association of Colleges and Employers report.

As knowledge in the core base of human culture erodes more and more, academia must question whether it can afford to see the humanities fade. Despite a widening consensus that the humanities are a "waste," the humanities still have practical value. For one, the humanities are important because they help us understand human culture in a rapidly evolving world. The study of foreign languages, history and world literature is relevant to understanding our future and recognizing our cultural differences. Wars launched over the past nine years might have been more purposefully driven had humanistic competencies been better applied. A cumulative education in the humanities instills necessary adeptness in writing, evaluation, judgement and ethics among other advantages. Furthermore, a liberal arts education expands our human development and augments our ability to fully engage in our nation's democracy. As free-thinking individuals, study in the humanities enhances our own understandings of self and world.

As the historian James Truslow Adams once said, "There are obviously two educations. One should teach us how to make a living and the other how to live." America cannot sacrifice a humanities education to secure advancement in science and math. The humanities make America, well, America. They can neither be lost or replaced. It is up to university administrators, politicians and the academic community to press for well-rounded education, one that embraces both learning of the past and the science of the future.

Ashley Chappo's column appears Fridays in The Cavalier Daily. She can be reached at a.chappo@cavalierdaily.com.