VDOT posts higher speed limits

Gov. Bob McDonnell announced that the Virginia Department of Transportation will raise the speed limit on some highways from 65 mph to 70 mph by Dec. 31.

The 5 mph increase, intended to improve travel efficiency, will be posted on 680 miles of rural and less-frequented stretches of interstate highways, including parts of I-95, I-81, I-64 and I-66.

"The increase in the speed limit from 65 to 70 mph in rural and less populated areas of the state will help Virginians arrive at their destinations quicker and safer and will speed the delivery of goods and services throughout the commonwealth," McDonnell said in a press release. "This is just one step forward in our efforts to significantly improve Virginia's transportation system."

The change follows the passage of House Bill 856 and Senate Bill 537, which allowed VDOT to increase the speed limit on certain highways after a traffic engineering study was completed.

The study reviewed crash patterns and history, speed data and physical conditions of the roadways. Certain segments of highways were deemed safe for the new speed limit.

-compiled by Sofia Economopoulos