Student body continues to increase

Administrators expect to see increase of 1,500 students, bringing undergraduate population to nearly 17,000 students by 2015

As the University awaits likely recommendations from the state to increase the school's enrollment, President Teresa A. Sullivan and the Board of Visitors are contemplating how to best accommodate such a request.

University spokesperson Carol Wood said the University expects the Commission on Higher Education Reform, Innovation and Investment to issue a statewide request for increased enrollment at all public universities as a part of the state's effort to raise the number of degrees issued to state residents.

The commission, established by Gov. Bob McDonnell in a March 26 executive order, lists "increasing significantly the percentage of college-age Virginians enrolling in institutions of higher education and attaining degrees," as one of its major goals, according to a press release from McDonnell's office. The commission set the goal of awarding 100,000 more degrees in the state during the next 15 years.

The University has already made some efforts to reach this goal. Wood explained that the University has focused on increasing the number of degrees given through the School of Continuing and Professional Studies and also has begun developing a 'three plus one' option, in which some students could obtain two degrees - a bachelor's and a master's degree