No laughing matter

The University should work to draw more entertaining commencement speakers

NOT SURPRISINGLY, Virginia Governor Bob McDonnell was chosen as the commencement speaker for the Class of 2011. Traditionally, the newly elected governor is selected to speak the year he is elected, but outgoing University President John Casteen was given that honor in 2010. By almost all measures, the decision to have Governor McDonnell give the commencement address was the correct one. The goals for the decision-making process, however, should be reevaluated for future graduations.

The Committee on Commencement and Convocations and President Teresa A. Sullivan unanimously selected Governor McDonnell as this year's speaker. Although the Committee and the president officially made the selection, precedent had predetermined the outcome. This newspaper even showcased the second part of a lacrosse story instead of the announcement on its front cover. A newly elected governor with two sons attending the University is a sure lock for speaker.

Even though this decision was expected, it still reveals the numerous flaws in the selection process. Graduation is primarily focused on the graduates and their families, but the unofficial rules of selecting a speaker unfairly shift this focus back towards the University.

A connection to the host university or college is required for most speakers, but this is not always the case. There have been numerous political figures and celebrities that have spoken in seemingly random places. Knox College is widely known for its string of memorable commencement speakers, including then-Senator Barack Obama, Stephen Colbert, Bill Clinton and Madeline Albright.