Not your average ride

Wahooptie provides new taxi experience

With its neon colors, hanging dice, surround sound and flat-screen TVs, the Wahooptie certainly isn't your average cab. Wahooptie even claims to be "the best taxi service in Charlottesville. Period," according to its website.

Owner Joseph Mills founded the company during the summer of 2007, when he met employee Bartley McGowan while working at the Charlottesville Pavilion.

McGowan, who is no longer a co-owner of the company, was interested in fixing cars at the time. Dissatisfied by the current state of local taxis, the two discussed ideas of a taxi service with the goal of creating "a fleet of taxis that surpassed anything anyone had ever seen in Charlottesville," Mills said.

The partners purchased their first vehicle, a purple 1993 Lincoln stretch, from a touring middle-aged punk band for $50. After scratching off the purple latex house paint and going through a "Pimp My Ride"-type transformation, the limo included iPod speakers, DVD players and a new leather interior. The vehicle then became known as the "the Big Orange Limo."

In addition to "the Big Orange Limo," the Wahooptie service has expanded to include "the Green Machine" - a 1988 Lincoln stretch - and the "Pimp Purple Suburban" - which Mills said is his personal favorite because it features four-wheel drive.

The company also includes a shuttle service