Oscar Spotlight: Javier Bardem

Overlooked Best Actor nominee deserves second look for role in

Who will win the Oscar for Actor in a Leading Role? If you ask around Grounds, you surely will garner a multitude of responses. There certainly will be a number of Firths (The King's Speech) or Francos (127 Hours). You probably will even get a few DiCaprios (who, by the way, is not even in the running for his role in Inception). I can, however, guarantee that Javier Bardem, nominated for his touching performance in Biutiful (2010) as a single father struggling with cancer, will not even enter the conversation. This is a shame, but not at all surprising, as Bardem's selection marks the first Leading Actor nomination for an entirely Spanish-language performance.

Born and raised in the Canary Islands of Spain, Bardem began acting at an early age. Bardem emerged from a family littered with actors, directors and producers of cinema. It was only natural for Bardem to pursue a career in acting. Still, few anticipated the international sensation that he would become.

Bardem began his acclaimed acting career in the early 1990s. The Spaniard rapidly reached celebrity status in his native country with films such as Jam