A break from normal fashion

Ever since middle school, I have been the family fashionista, much to my mother's dismay. Every morning she would sigh with impatience and roll her eyes in frustration, as she reminded me for the third time that I better hurry up or else I would miss the bus. Upstairs in my room, I was eyeing myself carefully in the mirror to ensure that my outfit and accessories were coordinated perfectly, agonizing about every little detail. Once my mother shouted her final warning, I would sprint downstairs with my backpack from my room, which was now strewn with clothes, depicting my indecisiveness.

My mom would be happy to know that last week, while I was on spring break, it took me less than five minutes each day to choose my outfit and get dressed.

For the past week, 21 other University students and I volunteered with an organization called Orphanage Outreach in the Dominican Republic to teach English at local elementary schools. Our daily "uniform" consisted of a colored Orphanage Outreach T-shirt and either pants or a skirt that fell below the knees. So the most difficult decision I had to make in the morning was deciding what color T-shirt I would wear for the day. Throughout the week, I realized how much I appreciated our "uniform," as it was a break from stressing about what I was going to wear. But more importantly, it was a break from the constant competition for the best-dressed award that seems to surround us on Grounds.

Some criticize Alternative Spring Break and consider its participants to be self-righteous individuals whose trip fees would be put to better use if donated to a charitable organization, but I know if I merely had donated my money to an organization I supported I would be missing out on important learning experiences. These experiences range from the nuanced details of our daily lives to larger, more difficult issues for us to confront and consider. Although we may not be able to "change the world" in a week, nor do we expect to do so, we do have the ability to make a small but significant impact, as well as learn more about ourselves and life outside the University and the United States.

When I decided to go on ASB I was slightly worried that I might not return to school well-rested and refreshed for classes, but my ASB trip proved to be more relaxing and rejuvenating than I expected. Participating in ASB offered me a break from daily life at school in more ways than I initially anticipated. For me, this past week was a break from feeling the need to dress to impress and wear makeup when I go to class, a break from warm showers and other similar conveniences I enjoy, a break from the fast pace of both work and play at the University. It was a break from constantly checking my phone, e-mail and Facebook, a break from typical leisure activities - this past week I played my fair share of board games and cards and loved every second of it. It was a break from my typical social circles and a break from taking myself too seriously - interacting with the elementary school kids reminded me how much fun it is to be crazy, silly and goofy. When someone not familiar with ASB computes the cost-benefit analysis for an ASB trip, it is easy to underestimate, or overlook altogether, the smaller benefits students get out of the trip beyond helping others; these lesser known aspects of the trip are just as valuable and greatly appreciated.

Now that I'm back at school, I'm not going to claim I had some life-changing experience during my ASB trip that fundamentally altered how I view the world or how I go about my daily life. But, I will claim that I did have a valuable learning experience, a break from University life and culture that has impacted me and will help me think differently and more critically about the world around me. Without my trip, I may never have gotten the opportunity to slow down and analyze my daily habits.

Kristin's column runs biweekly Thursdays. She can be reached at k.ulmer@cavalierdaily.com.