Seminoles no-hit Cavs

The Virginia softball team notched one victory and dropped two games during its three-game road series against Florida State this past weekend.

The Cavaliers (18-21, 2-9 ACC) showed resiliency Saturday as they fought back to claim a narrow 2-1 victory in the second matchup of a double header - just one game after the squad failed to record a single hit against the Seminoles (19-21, 4-7 ACC).

Florida State cruised to an easy 8-0 victory in just five innings during the first tilt of the doubleheader behind senior ace Sarah Hamilton's no-hit bid. The Seminoles outhit the Cavaliers by a 10-0 margin and scored all of their runs in the first two innings of play.

But despite the disappointment, the Cavaliers bounced back during the second game as freshman second baseman Marcy Bowdren's two singles highlighted a barrage of singles that propelled Virginia to its second ACC win. The Cavaliers recorded a total of eight hits - three more than their foe.

Sophomore pitcher Melanie Mitchell, meanwhile, halted the hot-hitting Seminoles as she threw all seven innings and allowed just one run on five hits.

But Mitchell failed to replicate her success Sunday afternoon as the Cavaliers dropped the series finale 6-1. The Cavaliers held a 1-0 lead after the top of the fifth inning, but the Seminoles responded with three runs of their own during the bottom half of the fifth en route to the win.

The Cavaliers will return home Wednesday with a doubleheader against Delaware State. The first game is scheduled to start at 4 p.m.

-compiled by Ben Baskin