The highest court

On Friday, Sam Carrigan wrote a piece ("Accountability at the highest level") arguing that our legal system was not being applied to our leaders as it was to our citizens. I wholeheartedly agree with this premise, although not with the example he provided.

However, in the piece he also said, "The fact that the United States is not party to the ICC already should speak volumes regarding the nation's lack of oversight." This action of joining the International Criminal Court would violate directly the constitutional principle that the Supreme Court is the highest court in the land.

The United States must not subordinate the Supreme Court - and the Constitution - to an ineffectual, supernational judiciary. Carrigan's complete lack of faith in our legal system and our ability to reform its failings greatly disturbs me. In addition, his claims that our leaders should be subject to international warrants is a direct assault on U.S. sovereignty. Although joining the ICC might lend some weight behind that organization, the negative effects on our judiciary are unacceptable.

Joel Taubman \nSEAS III