VMA's: wild acts, celeb revelations bring record ratings to awards show

Another year, another MTV Video Music Awards, and it's safe to say that this one was completely out of control - in a good way. Lady Gaga's gender-bending opening act, Beyonce's pregnancy announcement and Katy Perry's predictably weird outfits made for quite the live television experience. Exciting performances by artists such as Chris Brown, Pitbull, Adele and Bruno Mars rounded out an entertaining and star-studded night of musical excess.

To begin the night, Joe Calderone, Lady Gaga's male alter-ego, gave a dark monologue about past flame Lady Gaga. Gaga was in full drag and remained in character all night, which was a little exhausting to watch, especially when she accepted her award of Best Female Video for "Born This Way" on behalf of herself. She delivered her opening performance of "You and I" well, but her embarrassing fall off the piano - and later, the glass of scotch from which she appeared to be drinking - sparked rumors that she was drunk during the show. Perhaps Calderone had a little drink to take the edge off.

Later in the evening, Beyonce's performance of new single "Love on Top" served a dual purpose: She not only wowed the crowd with her outstanding voice but also used the moment to announce the impending arrival of the her and husband Jay-Z's latest collaboration - their first child. Beyonce was looking a little fuller during the performance, and I mused to myself that she could be pregnant, but dismissed the thought until she opened her jacket, rubbed her belly and revealed she was wearing maternity pants.

As for the almost-kiss between Calderone/Gaga and Miz Britney Spears, it was quite anti-climactic. Lady Gaga, still dressed as Calderone, presented the Michael Jackson Vanguard Award to an emotional Spears after a choreographed tribute to Spears featuring videos from her first hit, "Baby One More Time," through her latest, "Til the World Ends." As Calderone and Spears edged closer to one another -