We

The events surrounding the Sept. 11 anniversary are examples of the kinds of discussions the University might foster

ONE HARDLY would deny that for many students, coming to live in a university community offers opportunities previously unavailable to them and perhaps unavailable in other circumstances. That certainly seemed to be the case these past few weeks as various student groups on Grounds sponsored events to commemorate the tenth anniversary of Sept. 11, 2001. Of particular note was Sustained Dialogue's Interfaith Dialogue held in Observatory Hill Forum a week ago last Monday. Attendees gathered to hear five students from diverse backgrounds relate the impact of Sept. 11 on their lives; participants then broke up into smaller groups to continue discussing ideas gathered from the presentations themselves or from their own thoughts about Sept. 11 and its repercussions.

A common idea shared by participants in the small group session was that this kind of dialogue was a useful and important one to have. Sadly, some reported that conversations such as this were rare for them and that throughout their middle and even high school years there were few forums created for students to reflect together on the events of Sept. 11.

Young people clearly noticed the increased airport security, experienced a certain loss of innocence at the realization that the United States was not immune to attack and grappled with questions of the prioritization of safety versus freedom. Yet they had to deal with these consequences on their own or in very small circles. Those who found safe spaces took advantage of them, but those who did not