Data mining from clean sources

Campaigns to end the use of coal should take into account the logistics of alternative forms of energy

IN HIS guest viewpoint last week ("To infinity and beyond," Nov. 4), David Kwon of the Sierra Student Coalition's Beyond Coal campaign implored the University to live up to its high standards by addressing the problem of the coal-fired power plant here on Grounds and implementing "clean and renewable energy." Kwon went on to describe the effects of coal on public health and deplored the University's continued use of this dirtiest of energies. I think his is a common sentiment, but would like to offer the other, less publicized side of the argument.

It is easy to say that we need to switch to an all-encompassing source of "clean and renewable energy." But rather than take the convenient stance of anti-coal, anyone in search of change should aim to stand behind a positive, definitive plan. Is it wind energy the Beyond Coal members are fighting for? Or is it solar, or geothermal or nuclear? Just demonizing coal and fighting to shut down the plant is a prescription that is not only simplistic, but unrealistic.

I am by no means opposed to clean energy. The fact that we can harness alternative energy is amazing to me, and something that should be pursued to the utmost. These types of energy, however, are not anywhere close to reaching their full potential. Accordingly, the cost of producing them is quite high. A study done by the Electric Power Research Institute estimated that producing wind energy will cost a third more than coal for power plants starting up in 2015. The cost of solar energy will be nearly double that amount.

The electricity and heating provided by the coal plant here on Grounds would cost the University, and therefore the students, considerably more if it were produced instead through these cleaner and more renewable means.