Police file assault charge

A University student was assaulted early Sunday morning near the intersection of 14th Street and University Avenue by the Corner. Police are still looking for one of the two assailants.

Scottsville resident Antonio Jervel Booker-Eldridge has been charged with assault by mob. Charlottesville Police Lt. Ronnie Roberts said the victim sustained non-life-threatening injuries.

"[The student was] treated and released from the University of Virginia Medical Center ... on the morning of the incident," Roberts said.

The altercation occurred after the student bumped Booker-Eldridge while he was walking.

"It went from the bumping to the next level," which was verbal and physical violence, Roberts said. "The student, at the time of the incident, was not engaged in any physical contact with anyone."

The police are still looking for a second assailant, a 20- to 24-year-old black male, who witnesses described as between 5-foot-9 and 6 foot and weighing between 180 and 200 pounds, Roberts said.

University Police typically patrol the Corner, but the arrest was made by a Charlottesville Police officer, Roberts said.

Charlottesville Police are asking anyone with information to call Crimestoppers at (434) 977-4000.

-compiled by Joseph Liss