The ballot or the bank

U.S. democracy is being undermined by an inequality of wealth and the political influence exerted by the highest wage-earners

At the heart of democracy lies the fundamental notion that every citizen has an equal voice in society. This value, which began centuries ago, continues today as the cornerstone of the United States government. But is the democracy that we cherish truly a reality?

Based upon recent research and quantitative analysis, the answer is a clear and resounding no. The primary cause of this democratic deterioration lies in the U.S. campaign process, a tradition that links money and politics and allows incumbents to be reelected in more than 90 percent of congressional races. Private corporations, lobbying organizations and wealthy individuals donate millions to candidates, and studies verify that candidates have been successfully returning the favor.

Through highly organized lobbying "machines," the most affluent donors restrict their massive contributions to candidates who share their interests and cut off funding to opponents. These corrupt practices undermine the most basic principles of democracy. In the last 40 years, the flow of money from private interests into the hands of public officials has skyrocketed to unacceptable levels.

The biggest growth in private donations has come from corporate lobbying, a trend that greatly expanded in the late 1970s. From 1976 to 1986, the number of labor political action committees (PACs), typically representing low-income workers, increased from 224 to 261.