Meeting brings no agreement

Living Wage Campaign continues hunger strike; administration responds to University community

Six members of the Living Wage Campaign met yesterday with several University administrators to discuss a wage increase for the lowest-paid University employees. University President Teresa Sullivan did not attend the meeting.

The meeting lasted an hour and a half, but protestors said they were unable to make progress with the administration. University representatives included Vice President and Chief Student Affairs Officer Patricia Lampkin, Chief Human Resources Officer Susan Carkeek and Executive Vice President and Chief Operating Officer Michael Strine.

"The administration refuses to begin negotiating [about] the problems the low-wage employees continue to have," said Emily Filler, campaign spokesperson and Graduate Arts & Sciences student.

The campaign once again rallied at noon, saying it was not discouraged by the results and would continue to demonstrate with signs and speeches.

In a University-wide email yesterday, Strine said the administration maintains a commitment to raising wages but must consider tight budget restrictions and competing financial priorities. Strine said the University must combat