Council swears in new leadership

Incoming executive members discuss plans, expectations at transition ceremony

Student Council held a transition ceremony for its incoming leaders and representatives in the Rotunda Dome Room yesterday evening. Incoming and outgoing members, as well as University President Teresa A. Sullivan, attended the event.

Incoming Council President Johnny Vroom, a third-year College student, said he was optimistic about Council's potential this term and hoped to help the organization grow.

"Student self-governance is a term that is frequently thrown around at this institution... but in my mind, it's best exemplified by what Student Council does," Vroom said. "I have truly found that the more effort I've poured into [Council], the more fulfilled I feel."

Outgoing Council President Dan Morrison, a fourth-year Commerce student, offered advice to incoming Council members, making sure to thank his term's executive board.

"I couldn't imagine a better group of people... that I could've relied on this past year," Morrison said.

Morrison said Council had taught him to take smaller steps toward achieving goals rather than addressing the "big idea" at all times.

"All you have to do is act," Morrison said to the audience. "What's the simplest thing you can do today? Do it today, and do it every day."

Vroom said elected representatives should try to lead by example in the University community.

"I want to be able to say that we've done all that we can do... to make life better for our peers," Vroom said. "We've been given a bright canvas and can pretty much create whatever we want on it. We're given all the resources we need to accomplish our goals."

Outgoing executive members of Council also swore in their successors. Second-year College student Neil Branch assumed office as vice president for organizations, succeeding fourth-year College student Aneesha Rao. Third-year College student Whit Hunter, the outgoing vice president for administration, passed the torch to second-year College student Ann Laurence Baumer.

Engineering Graduate student Siddartha Pailla, outgoing chair of the representative body, said he is proud of the "progressive changes" Council made during his term, highlighting the success of Speak Up UVa in particular. Pailla said Council responded to more than 100 Speak Up UVa posts during his term.

Vroom said Council could "achieve something grand" as long as it put forth a "concerted effort" to do so.

"A masterpiece is within our reach, I believe," Vroom said.

Council also recognized two professors with University Awards.

Art Department lecturer George Sampson was awarded the Leonard W. Sandridge Student Partnership Award for his efforts to establish a relationship with Council. Asst. Systems Engineering Prof. Reid Bailey was awarded Council's Distinguished Teaching Award for providing a challenging atmosphere for students.

Council also presented awards to its own members. Second-year College student Michael Promisel, a member of the Environmental Sustainability Committee, was named the Outstanding Representative, and Darden Rep. Zubin Mehta was named the Outstanding Graduate Rep. Second-year Commerce student Julie Parent, a member of the Athletic Affairs Committee, and second-year College student Elly Jackson, a member of the Students Arts Committee, earned Council's Member Excellence Award. The Buildings and Grounds Committee was named the Outstanding Committee of this past term.