Oxford professor talks art

Martin Kemp delivers three-day Page-Barbour lecture series about da Vinci

Martin Kemp, emeritus professor of art history at Oxford University, kicked off this year's three-day Page-Barbour lecture series with a talk yesterday afternoon at the Harrison Institute about art history, nature and science.

Founded in 1907, the Page-Barbour Lecture Series at UVa bring specialists to the University to lecture within any field of the arts and sciences.

Kemp's lecture, titled "Platonic Solids," drew on both art and science in its examination of Platonic solids - polyhedrons, such as cubes or tetrahedrons - and their variants. The lecture dealt largely with the art historian's study of Leonardo da Vinci.

"The background for this lecture [consists of] the essays I began to write in 1997," Kemp said. "[I've] been lecturing on these and developing them since 2000. It's a continuing process; these [Page-Barbour lectures] gave me a chance to have another deep breath and gather in more ideas."

Art History Prof. David Summers introduced Kemp and described him as an expert in his field. "Kemp is not only an exemplary scholar, he has also devoted his energy to bringing the past into the present and the art of the present as well," Summers said.

Kemp joins the ranks of past Page-Barbour lecturers, including President William Taft, T.S. Eliot and John Dewey.

"I'm honored to be part of such a prestigious set of lectures at this university," Kemp said, adding he was pleased to be back in Charlottesville for the first time in about 25 years.

Richard Jones, assistant to the Page-Barbour & Richard Lecture committee, said the Page-Barbour Lecture Series at UVa offers a range of interdisciplinary lectures and also receive grant applications requesting up to $15,000 for student-faculty collaborations from departments "across the humanities and sciences" to put together conferences or programs.

Kemp will deliver two more lectures on art and science - "Patterns of Process" and "Taking it on Trust" - today and tomorrow at 4 p.m. in the Harrison Auditorium.