U.Va. honors Founder

University hosts tree planting, presents architecture, law, leadership awards

The University hosted a series of events to celebrate Founder's Day Friday, including a tree planting and the presentation of the three Thomas Jefferson Foundation Medals in architecture, law and citizen leadership.

The tree-planting ceremony took place on the Lawn Friday morning and honored the late professor Mario di Valmarana, a Venetian professor who spearheaded the University's study abroad programs in Venice and Vicenza.

Di Valmarana's international programs took students out of the classroom for a month so they could live and study architecture in Venice and other parts of Italy, Architecture Prof. Elizabeth Meyers said.

"[The tree planting] is meaningful to his own profession and his personal relationship to Jefferson's legacy," Meyers said. "This is so fitting because [Di Valmarana] was cognizant that Jefferson had architectural influences from Italy."

Di Valmarana died in October 2010, and was a professor for the Architecture School from 1972 to 2000. The Venice native was considered to be an expert on Palladian architecture - a type of architecture inspired by the designs of Venetian architect Andrea Palladio, which gained prominence during the 17th century.

Reuben Rainey, co-director of the Architecture School's Center for Design and Health, said the University decided to honor di Valmarana because Palladio "deeply influenced Jefferson."

"[Di Valmarana] understood Italian renaissance more than almost anyone," Rainey said. "He took architecture as something not to be copied but to inspire new ideas while continuing the tradition. Architecture for him was a part of the landscape."

The University also honored architect Rafael Moneo, former U.S. Sen. George Mitchell and Jessica Tuchman Mathews, CEO of the Carnegie Endowment for International Peace. These three individuals received the Thomas Jefferson Foundation Medals which are the highest honors the University and the Thomas Jefferson Foundation bestow to non-University affiliates.

The ceremony took place Friday at a luncheon in the Dome Room of the Rotunda.

Mathews "has been at the helm of the Carnegie Endowment ... [and has had] an enormous impact on the world of international affairs and led the development of full-fledged research institutions in Moscow, Beijing, Beirut and Brussels," according to a University press release. Mathews was also the featured speaker at Monticello's commemoration of Jefferson's 269th birthday.

Mitchell most recently served as a special envoy for Middle East peace under President Barack Obama. Mitchell was named special adviser to President Bill Clinton in Ireland and served as chairman of the Northern Ireland peace talks. Under his leadership, the negotiations led to the Good Friday Peace Agreement, which brought an end to decades of conflict in Northern Ireland.

Moneo is a Spanish architect known for designing innovative modern buildings which are in keeping with the environments in which they are built.

The three award recipients held talks last week to discuss their work, including the various achievements which earned them Thomas Jefferson Foundation Medals.

The University has celebrated Thomas Jefferson's Birthday, Founder's Day, since its first academic session, according to the Founder's Day website.