Honor to offer updated tutorial

The Honor Committee plans to launch an online tutorial in early October to offer students further instruction on the honor system. The tutorial will be mandatory for all incoming students — both first years and transfers — and optional for all others.

Honor Committee Chair Stephen Nash, a fourth-year College student, said the module would be similar to one offered last year in terms of content but would be more interactive than its predecessors. “Last year [students had to] read through the entire thing and then answer questions,” Nash said. “Now the questions are right after the relevant and applicable material, giving it a more interactive feel.”

The survey should take most students between five and 15 minutes to complete, Nash said.

Some Committee members expressed concern at the Committee’s weekly meeting Sunday evening about whether the new module will truly enhance students’ knowledge of the honor system. “Even if we were trying to reach 100 percent of the students, there would still be a percentage of students who we can’t reach,” said Vice Chair for Investigations Lindsey Tumperi, a fourth-year College student. “People can still just click through and answer questions incorrectly and not learn anything about honor.”

The module will launch prior to the start of most midterms, Nash said. Like other compulsory NetBadge items, students will be given three reminders during a span of several weeks to begin or complete the survey.

“I consider this one of the largest education initiatives and tools we’ve put in place,” Nash said. “It’s important that [this information] is available so everyone coming in has a better understanding of the University’s expectations.”