USA dramedy ‘Suits’ up for new season

Flaunting impeccably tailored three-pieces and chic skinny ties, the stars of USA’s Suits do credit to their show’s title. Beyond the snappy outfits of its cast, Suits, like most of the USA network’s offerings, succeeds as a piece of harmless and sometimes brilliantly funny entertainment.

Set in New York City to an upbeat indie soundtrack, the show centers on a prestigious law firm that only accepts Harvard graduates. The show’s protagonist, Mike Ross (played by Patrick J. Adams), is a genius-level slacker who successfully talks his way into one of the firm’s associate positions without a college or a law degree — which makes what we’re doing here at U.Va. feel kind of irrelevant, doesn’t it? Although we can’t all have photographic memories like Mike, it’s great watching him screw up just like the rest of us, only to proceed to use his whiz-kid skills to miraculously fix everything.

The real draw of the show’s story is the budding bromance between Mike, the retired stoner, and Harvey Specter (played by Gabriel Macht), the ultimate closer. Together the two leading men make legal magic as they cut deals and navigate office intrigue. With help from such usual suspects as the office rat, the spitfire assistant and the token attractive paralegal who can’t seem to pass the LSAT, these buddies make lawyerdom seem appealing even for the most reluctant of viewers.

The show’s second season departs from this lighthearted mood somewhat, as it introduces a new villain and a slightly more serious narrative arc. One of the founding partners, Daniel Hardman, returns, claiming he’s changed his usual scheming tune. Jessica, the current managing partner and Daniel’s successor (as well as the reason he was edged out of his position) feels justifiably threatened, and battle lines are drawn. Office loyalties are tested, and both Mike’s and Harvey’s positions in the firm are jeopardized.

When this central plot piece is coupled with a few smatterings of on-again, off-again chemistry between Mike and sexy paralegal Rachel, the show delights. And audiences across America seem to agree: shows like Suits have propelled the USA network to the front of the line of primetime cable programs. In spite of its newfound top-tier status, USA refuses to abandon its tagline, “Characters Welcome,” which fits well with the witty banter and endearing relationships that make Suits such a fun and quirky program.

Suits may not be the deepest or most intellectual show on television, but it always leaves us wanting more. Take, for instance, the second season’s finale. Though the episode resolved the dispute about the firm’s management, enough unanswered questions and potential character conflicts remain to make the wait for the show’s return seem horrifically long. For those of us who can’t take our eyes off the screen as Mike and Harvey strut and shout, the third season, which starts in January, can’t come soon enough. Despite the fact that the show is completely fictional, I have to admit, Suits does kind of make me want to be a lawyer.

Start studying for those LSATs, kids.