Citro addresses Council about noise ordinance concerns

Stricter noise ordinance enforcement predominantly impacts Greek organizations

Asst. Dean of Students Mike Citro, who oversees fraternity and sorority and student organizations at the University, spoke at Student Council’s representative body meeting Tuesday evening. He addressed concerns about proposed changes to the City noise ordinance that would greatly affect Greek organizations.

Charlottesville community members are advocating harsher punishments for noise violations because of the abundance of noise complaints filed last spring semester.

Charlottesville City ordinance currently states noise cannot exceed 55 decibels — about the level of loud talking — between the hours of 10 p.m. and 6 a.m. within the City limits. Currently, those found to be in violation of this could face a Class Four misdemeanor charge, which would not require jail time.

Individuals in the Venable and University Circle neighborhoods last August proposed revising existing punishments to include higher fines — up to $1,000 for first time offenders — and potential jail time. City Council members tabled the proposed changes but could revisit them later.

The noise ordinance has been the focal point of concerns neighbors have raised, Citro said. “The gathering point has been just noise, and that’s a point that the neighbors have really been able to galvanize around saying, ‘Here’s a discrete point that we can change.’”

Charlottesville residents have also complained about the general dilapidation of student property, Citro said. But, unlike noise ordinance enforcement, little can be done to force students to clean up after themselves, he added.

The University is looking for a solution to the stalemate. Dialogue between neighbors is essential to improving current relations, Citro said. “I’m of the mindset that we can get to the outcome that the neighbors want through dialogue and getting people together rather than through enforcement of this piece,” he said. “We’ve brought students and neighborhood leaders together and some of that wasn’t happening previously.”

Council members, including Commerce School Rep. John Beyer, asked how the message could be best relayed to students.

Citro said it was important not to focus too much on the numbers, but rather on the conversation. “It’s about making reasonable decisions in terms of how we engage our neighbors,” he said.

Moving into the new year, Citro said these conversations need to continue to ensure relations improve. Council members, as representatives of the student body, have a particular duty to convey this to students, he said. “We need everybody’s help on this to elevate the idea of everyone being a good community member as we come up on Halloween and that last football game — it’s got the makings of a great storm,” he said.