Workers complete Lawn fireplace repairs

Academical Village Chimney Project workers earlier this month put the finishing touches on Lawn fireplaces, allowing Lawn residents to again use the hearths for warmth.

Lawn residents discovered in August they would be unable to light the fireplaces until repairs could be undertaken.

After the “Keep the Fires Burning” campaign, in conjunction with the University and the Alumni Association, raised more than $3 million, the University hired six specialty construction firms and 10 Facilities Management construction workforces.

Facilities Management workers and outside crews began repairs in May.

“The [University] is designated an UNESCO World Heritage Site, and so, we are all entrusted with a great heirloom,” said James Zehmer, the historic preservation project manager for the restoration. “We have a duty to act as stewards of this place, to ensure that both the built environment and the heritage of the University are preserved and passed down to the next generation. Part of that heritage is having safe, operable fireplaces in the Academical Village, so that the heart and soul of Mr. Jefferson’s University will continue to burn bright for years to come.”

The project, which University officials say kept within its $3.5 million budget, repaired Lawn and Range fireplaces and installed a fire suppression system.

Fourth-year College student Allison Abbott, a Lawn resident, said she has already begun to use her fireplace. “I think the project was a success,” she said.