Our Haus in the Middle of Our Street

Sweethaus cupcakes bring the food fad to Charlottesville in style

A couple of weeks ago, I was driving back from the Downtown Mall with my girlfriend, just finished with “Silver Linings Playbook.” We were looking for a sweet treat to cap the night off right. We headed down Main Street, thinking we’d capitulate to the usual Sweet Frog or Arch’s sugar fix, but instead noticed a building tucked away by the bridge at the train station. There, at 843 West Main Street, stood Sweethaus, a small-batch cupcake and candy shop.

We walked in and noticed not only the wide array of cupcakes and coffees offered, but also the huge selection of specialty candies — ranging from gummy bears to nostalgic candy necklaces. The staff mainly consisted of University students, and the quaint, colorful, hip atmosphere made us feel right at home.

Our first prerogative was to investigate the always-stocked sample case, which we were told this time contained vanilla cupcakes. We were so delighted with the moistness of the cake and the punchiness of the vanilla that we decided to make the plunge and invest in a six-pack.

Perhaps Sweethaus’ most complex cupcake, and my personal favorite, was the salted caramel. With moist marble cake topped with caramel icing, a chocolate dollop and a salted caramel drizzle, it’s hard to go wrong. The dense yet extremely moist cake combined well with its topping. The icing was thick, but also light and fluffy so it wouldn’t overwhelm. For once, customers can find an extremely balanced cupcake.

My other favorite was the red velvet — a rich cake accented with a decadent cream cheese frosting. Though a cupcakery staple, Sweethaus’ red velvet rivals that of any big city shop.

Other popular flavors include cookies and cream, chocolate, vanilla and pistachio. Cupcakes come in two sizes — regular and mini — so it is easy to sample a wide variety of flavors.

And as a local small business, Sweethaus is able to work with customers to create a wide variety of custom cupcakes and cakes. Next time you are looking for an interesting birthday cake or creative cupcakes to spice up a CIO event, turn to Sweethaus for an innovative dessert that will be as visually satisfying as it is tasty.

Tyler’s column runs biweekly Tuesdays. He can be reached at t.gurney@cavalierdaily.com.