Of muffins and men

Gender roles thrive in culinary confinement

My last morning at home during fall break found me happily slaving away in the throes of domesticity, churning out bounties of made-from-scratch pumpkin muffins for the culinary benefit of my castmates in the Drama Department’s production of “Crazy for You.” Incidentally, whilst baking said bundles of sugary goodness, I invited my ex over for a catch-up session.

“I love baking. I love cooking. It’s so soothing,” I quipped to him in passing.

“You were clearly programmed to be a wife,” he replied with a smirk.

And with the passing of those eight seemingly inconsequential words, my blood began to boil — a response that occurs more often than I’d care to admit, but one that in this situation, I found justifiable. I laughed off his comment at first, feeling only the slightest annoyance beginning to growl quietly in the back of my mind.

Our conversation digressed elsewhere, but I remained fixated on his remark. Why did it upset me? Because he immediately, without giving a moment’s pause, associated a fondness for cooking with female domesticity. But really, should I have expected anything more from a 19-year-old boy whose lower-middle class, semi-rural environment has taught him to accept — nay, to embrace — narrowly defined gender roles of a bygone decade?

Baking remains a pastime associated with the feminine sex, as does culinary ability in general, despite the fact that many, if not most, renowned chefs today are male. Indeed, when a woman succeeds in the professional culinary world, she’s lauded as some sort of Herculean hero; it is only when women become associated with such activities in the confines of the domestic sphere they’re branded as anti-feminist baggage to the otherwise progressive, stereotype-shattering female world.

When a woman succeeds in the culinary world, we are to revere her achievements, applaud the talent and dedication that has permitted her to assume a position parallel to that of many men. But why should I celebrate this woman’s accomplishments more than I celebrate those of a male chef who has risen to the same level?

Celebrating a woman’s ability to be head chef, or to fix a faulty carburetor, or even to become president implies a fundamental handicap that she must first overcome in order to achieve such success.

But I, for one, do not feel handicapped. I am handicapped only so far as I allow social stigmas and rules to define my gender and myself. They derive their power from our acceptance.
I’m not sure if I’d call myself a feminist — I seek only the admission that women stand as unequivocal equals to men.

So therefore, from all the men on Grounds, I ask only this: respect me. But do not respect me solely because I am a woman, for to do so would be just as heinous as openly discriminating against me because of my gender. Respect me not for my sex, but merely because I am a human being. Respect me the way I hope you respect everyone you pass on the street.

Standing in my kitchen, readying my muffins for their journey to Charlottesville, I could have made these many points exceptionally clear to my ex after his crude remark. But I didn’t get on my soapbox and lecture him on the fine points of gender equality. Instead, I simply told him, “I hope my fondness for baking isn’t what makes me a good wife. I hope there will be better reasons.”

Afterward, watching him walk from my doorway to his car, I thought, ‘Wow, I really dodged a bullet with that one.’ And then, laughing to myself, I went inside and iced a cupcake.

Laura’s column runs biweekly Fridays. She can be reached l.holshouser@cavalierdaily.com.