McCarthy leads Americans to World Amateur Team Championship

<p>Senior All-American Denny McCarthy shot 8-under 64 in the final round of the championships as the Americans stifled a late rally by Canada. </p>

Senior All-American Denny McCarthy shot 8-under 64 in the final round of the championships as the Americans stifled a late rally by Canada. 

Saturday in Karuizawa, Japan — a 14-hour plane jaunt from Charlottesville — Virginia senior Denny McCarthy led Team USA in scoring at the World Amateur Team Championships as the Americans captured the Eisenhower Trophy for a record 15th time.

While McCarthy’s American teammates — Southern Methodist junior Bryson DeChambeau and Texas sophomore Beau Hossler — shot 1-over and 3-over, respectively, in the final round, McCarthy carded an 8-under 64 to outlast an 11-under final round effort by Canada and ensure a 2-stroke American victory.

DeChambeau and Kent State senior Corey Conners of Canada, playing together in the final group, approached the 18th tee box with the two countries tied at 37-under for the tournament. DeChambeau, who shot a tournament record 61 the day before, managed a birdie on the par-4, while Conners bogeyed the final hole.

Team USA opened the tournament tied for sixth at 8-under, 2 strokes behind Canada, Sweden and Switzerland for the tournament lead. Argentina grabbed the 36-hole lead the following day at 18-under, while the Americans narrowed the gap to one stroke. Team USA held a 3-stroke lead after three rounds.

McCarthy, who posted rounds of 68, 68, 67 and 64, was the only American to shoot under 70 during all four rounds of the tournament. He shot a 19-under 267 72-hole total to finish fifth individually, four strokes behind a record-setting 23-under 263 tournament score by Arizona State junior Jon Rahm of Spain.