Local attorney Mike Signer announces City Council candidacy

Press conference postponed following Jesse Matthew's indictment

Local author and attorney Mike Signer announced his candidacy for a Charlottesville City Council seat Wednesday.

Signer intended to make his announcement Tuesday, but postponed the press conference after news of Jesse Matthew’s indictment and out of respect for the Graham family, a press release stated.

Mayor Satyendra Huja announced last week he will not run for reelection, and the two incumbent Council members facing reelection have not yet declared their intention to run.

Running as a Democrat, Signer will first need to receive one of the party’s three allotted nominations in a June election.

Signer said he aims to create a more unified city, expressing his interest in “building bridges” between different groups of people and neighborhoods.

“I am running [so I can] work hard to build one Charlottesville,” Signer said. “I am [looking] to bring responsible, professional, experienced leadership to City Council.”

Signer said, if he is elected to Council, he will have four main focuses: public education, economic development, improving quality of life and public safety.

Signer said his experience as a corporate lawyer and his time working in the community make him qualified to serve on City Council.

“I am involved with the new ambassador program, in a consulting position,” Signer said. “I do a lot of work for the community trying to rebuild trust between police officers and the community.”

Signer reiterated his experiences in the community in a press release distributed Wednesday.

“I’ve recently focused less on politics, and more on civic activism through my [presidency] of the Fifeville Neighborhood Association and [chairmanship] of the Emergency Food Bank,” Signer said in the press release. “But when leaders began asking me to consider running for an open seat on City Council, my wife, Emily, and I thought long and hard about it. We concluded that serving on Council would be a good way to help try and make an amazing city an even better place to live.”

The Democratic primary will be held June 9.