Governor McAuliffe names new Chief Information Officer for the state

Nelson Moe is appointed, will lead Virginia Information Technology Agency

Governor McAuliffe announced Nelson Moe as the new Chief Information Officer for the Commonwealth of Virginia Tuesday. As the new CIO, Moe will head the Virginia Information Technologies Agency beginning June 8.

Moe most recently worked as the CIO of the U.S. House of Representatives where he provided IT services to all members, committees, leadership and staff. He has also worked as a nuclear submarine officer in the U.S. Navy and as a network engineer for private IT companies.

“Mr. Moe is a high energy, results-driven Information Technology executive with a track record of leadership in a variety of roles throughout his career,” Governor McAuliffe said in a press release.

Karen Jackson, the secretary of technology of the Commonwealth, who oversees the office of the CIO, said the recruiting for the position took place through various CIO trade associations which have previously worked with the executive offices.

“We basically put out the word through the trade associations we all participate with and those that we knew had national contacts,” Jackson said. “Essentially we did our own national search without having to go through a national search firm.”

Jackson said the position followed the same hiring process as any job within the state government.

“There’s a job description for a CIO and we posted it on the DHR website, which is common practice for all Virginia jobs, and we received applications through that site,” she said.

Moe’s new duties will include reporting to and working with Jackson and Governor McAuliffe on data-related activities, particularly cybersecurity. Moe will also negotiate a 2019 contract recompete with Northrop Grumman, the company covering the executive branch agencies’ infrastructure.

“We’re obviously doing a whole lot of work in that space to try to make sure that when we do recompete that contract that it’s done for the benefit of the government as well as the citizens,” Jackson said. “He’s going to be not only managing the agency on a day-to-day basis, but having strategic roles as well working with myself and the governor.”

Jackson said the state government’s technology use has skyrocketed within the past few years, and she hopes VITA will continue to grow under Moe’s leadership.

“We’re very hopeful that while we still maintain the environment and make sure everything works, we still take a more strategic look at where we want technology to go over the long term,” she said.

Jackson noted Moe’s experience in leadership positions and objective standpoint may prove advantageous by allowing for more cohesive relationships between VITA and other agencies.

“I think Moe coming from [the] outside will be able to provide some good leadership in terms of matching,” Jackson said. “The business needs of the agencies to the services that VITA can provide.”