Charlottesville's annual Walk to End Alzheimer’s boasts more than 850 participants

Local association hopes to raise $180,000

<p>The money raised in the walk will go to several of the programs the Association supports to combat Alzheimer’s and reach out to communities.</p>

The money raised in the walk will go to several of the programs the Association supports to combat Alzheimer’s and reach out to communities.

The Central Virginia Chapter of the Alzheimer’s Association hosted a "Walk to End Alzheimer’s” in Charlottesville Saturday to raise awareness and donations to combat the disease. This year’s event saw over 850 participants.

The walks are one of the primary ways the organization raises money, along with accepting individual and corporate donations and federal grants, President and CEO of the Alzheimer’s Association Sue Friedman said. Walks are a way to engage the community and allow as many individuals as possible to participate in the fight against Alzheimer’s.

“The benefit of a walk is that one of the best ways to delay Alzheimer’s is of course exercise, so we are not only raising funds and awareness, but also doing something that we know is important to maintain our brain health,” Friedman said.

The monetary goal of the Charlottesville Walk, one of more than 300 walks held across the country annually, was about $180,000, Friedman said. The Alzheimer’s Association is still calculating the actual total of donations from this weekend’s event.

The money raised in the walk will go to several of the programs the association supports to combat Alzheimer’s and reach out to communities.

The premier sponsor for the Charlottesville Walk to End Alzheimer’s is the University Health System.

“We like to give them a pat on the back for understanding the great importance of working with us to make sure people know how to access resources,” Friedman said of the University.

Several University-affiliated clubs and organizations, including fraternities, sororities, medical students and the University club Hoos for Memory participated in the walk, collectively raising more than $11,000.

President of Hoos for Memory, fourth-year College student Cristina Thompson, said the University organization participates annually in the walk as their primary fundraising event in the Fall.

About 30-40 students registered for the walk through Hoos For Memory, Thompson said. Five students in particular raised more than $500 each, and two students raised more than $1,000 each. In total, Hoos For Memory helped raise about $6,500.

Thompson said the walk is beneficial not only in raising money for Alzheimer's research but in bringing the community together.

“I know that a lot of people aren’t able to make it downtown, but it’s so nice to meet so many people in the community and it’s a really moving event,” Thompson said. “Everyone is really together for this cause. Everyone is passionate about it.”

Thompson said she would like to see more members of the club actively involved in fundraising — whether through personal outreach or organized events like those of the Alzheimer’s Association.

Both Thompson and Friedman stressed the need for ongoing and widespread awareness and activity to combat the disease.

“The good things about the Walk to End Alzheimer’s are fundraising and certainly awareness,” Friedman said. “Neither one end with the walk.”