Halftime adjustments loom large in Virginia victory

“Close game” and “heartbreaker” have so often been synonymous terms where Virginia football is concerned. Tragic defeats in the games’ dying seconds have in so many ways come to define the Cavaliers (2-4, 1-1 ACC). However, luck finally broke for the much-maligned Virginia football team as a touchdown run by redshirt freshman Jordan Ellis in triple overtime capped off a 44-38 comeback victory by the Cavaliers.

“It was a great effort by our football team,” coach Mike London said. “I’m proud of those guys. They showed some fight, resiliency and grit.”

An all too familiar script started playing out in the game’s first half. Syracuse’s offense moved the ball as they wished, while Virginia looked lost on offense. The Cavaliers amassed a grand total of nine yards in the first quarter before gaining 110 in the second quarter.

Turnovers only compounded problems for Virginia. Junior running back Taquan Mizzell fumbled less than five minutes into the second quarter, which led to the game’s first touchdown — a 44-yard fumble recovery by sophomore Antawn Cordy.

Then, in the dying moments of the half, junior quarterback Matt Johns had his pass attempt batted up at the line of scrimmage before falling in the arms of freshman Qaadir Sheppard. Gifted with possession on their own 26-yard line, the Orange scored their third touchdown of the quarter on a 26-yard run by freshman Eric Dungey.

The Cavaliers faced a 21-14 deficit at the half and entered their locker room to a shower of boos from the Scott Stadium faithful.

Trailing at the intermission has been a veritable death sentence for Virginia under London. The team had not pulled off a second-half comeback since August 31, 2013 against BYU.

Arguably, lack of adjustments has been the most frustrating feature that defines a Cavaliers defeat — forget the time mismanagement, the 12 men on the field penalties and the defensive breakdowns. However, this team did exactly that, they adjusted and fought back into the game.

“All you can do is keep coaching and keep teaching and trying to keep a positive mindset,” London said. You have to keep emphasizing the things that can allow you to win.”

The defense adapted in the face of the dynamic Dungey and Syracuse’s option-based running attack. The Orange ran over, through and around Virginia’s defense in the first half to the tune of 139 yards — 97 of which were Dungey’s. Throughout that first half the Cavaliers demonstrated an ability to stick to their assignments when facing the option, but failed to finish with sound tackling.

“You can’t do as much as you want to,” senior defensive end Mike Moore said. “You have to be aware that he is an athletic guy and can get out of the pocket at any time.”

The defense peaked exactly when they needed to — in overtime. In Syracuse’s final overtime possession, the Cavaliers blew up an option for a four-yard loss and then senior David Dean and sophomore Micah Kiser combined for a six-yard sack, which pushed the Orange out of comfortable field goal range. Sophomore kicker Cole Murphy missed short and set the stage for Virginia’s game-winning drive.

“We came together and played hard as a team,” sophomore safety Quin Blanding said. “When we’re all one we’re unstoppable.”

Likewise, the offensive unit found new life after halftime. The Cavaliers exploited the perimeter run game against an Orange defense that seemed to lack the speed to reach the edge in time. Virginia rushed only 58 yards in the first half. They finished the game with 159, led by 58 yards from Mizzell.

“We’re a bit of a running back by committee,” London said. “We have a lot of guys that do a lot of different things for us… We tried to open up the defense with some jet sweeps and running the ball inside and that led to some big gains.”

With the victory against Syracuse, Virginia has demonstrated that they can make necessary adjustments midway through the game. But one question remains: will they continue to do so down the stretch of the ACC slate? The Cavaliers must win four more games to reach bowl eligibility, but their schedule — at UNC, vs. Georgia Tech, at Miami, at Louisville, vs. Duke and vs. Virginia Tech — is a daunting one. Virginia will need to demonstrate the fluidity and adaptability showcased against Syracuse if they are to have a prayer at reaching the six-win threshold.

“This [win] was mandatory,” Mizzell said. “To give us confidence going forward in ACC games. This was a big-time game for us.”