Law, politics symposium held at U.Va. Law School

Justice Brent Benjamin addresses judicial, political campaign conflicts

<p>Pasley&nbsp;said Mass Incarceration Week is a nationwide event sponsored by the National Lawyers Guild.</p>

Pasley said Mass Incarceration Week is a nationwide event sponsored by the National Lawyers Guild.

The Journal of Law and Politics hosted its annual symposium at the University’s School of Law Friday.

The symposium, addressing “The Merits and Disadvantages of Judicial Elections,” was held in the Caplin Pavilion at the Law School. Law Prof. Risa Goluboff gave opening remarks, followed by two panels and an address from Justice Brent Benjamin, a Justice on the Supreme Court of Appeals of West Virginia.

The event was devoted to the subject of judicial elections because it intersects politics and law, said Alexander Gray, the development editor for the journal. Judges are elected politically, but professionally they deal purely with law.

“The opportunity to discuss judicial elections — their merits and disadvantages — appeared attractive because it closely relates to our mission and offers an intriguing topic for our community,” Gray said.

The issue was particularly relevant to Benjamin, who was able to share unique insights in regards to the issue, Gray said. Benjamin was the subject of the case Caperton v. A. T. Massey Coal Co., in which his neutrality as a judge was questioned as a former donor to Benjamin’s campaign was the defendant.

The court ruled that it was not legal for Benjamin to judge the case. At the symposium on Friday, Benjamin explained the value of a public funding model for judicial campaigns, which could prevent direct contact between judges and donors.

The two panels, moderated by University professors, sparked subsequent discussions. Law School Prof. Michael Gilbert moderated the first panel, which was made up of another University professor as well as professors from Michigan State University and Emory University.

The event was a success, Gray said, and provided valuable insights and exposure for students.

“Students enjoyed meeting the visiting professors, and Benjamin offered an exciting and informative account of his experience as an elected judge,” Gray said.

Founded by current Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia, The Journal of Law and Politics focuses on the interaction between law and politics. In addition to holding an annual symposium on a relevant topic, it also publishes scholarly articles and essays dealing with politics and law.