University students studying in France given option to return

U.Va. in Lyon program director offers students, families support

<p>Mester said she feels safe in Lyon and has no plans to return home early, although she is sure the program will be accommodating.</p>

Mester said she feels safe in Lyon and has no plans to return home early, although she is sure the program will be accommodating.

Following terrorist attacks in Paris, the University has been in contact with students and faculty abroad in France.

Asst. French Prof. Janet Horne, director of the U.Va. in Lyon program, reached out to the families of the students who are studying in France following the attacks to offer them the option to bring students home.

“They were all concerned about their kids, obviously, but they were amazingly calm,” Horne said. “None of them wanted to immediately tell their children to come home. We did write a memo that went out to all of the students and the parents that said if you feel as though the best thing is for your child to come home, we will make the semester count.”

Fortunately, Horne said, many of the students in the U.Va. in Lyon program were not actually in France at the time of the attacks, but were traveling in Spain, Germany and Ireland.

“Some of the parents have travel plans. They were all a little bit worried about what to do over the holidays because some of them were planning on visiting,” Horne said. “They're going to wait and make a decision later.”

Horne advised parents to consult the French Consulate and the State Department regarding potential travel plans.

Margaret Mester, a third-year College student, has spent her semester in Lyon with the program and said her residence in the country since the Nov. 13 attacks “has been uncomfortable.”

“Like my study abroad counterparts, I’m viewing the situation from a sort of surreal middle ground as an American living in France,” Mester said. “As are most people, I’m disgusted and horrified and saddened by the Paris attacks.”

Mester said she feels safe in Lyon and has no plans to return home early, although she is sure the program would be accommodating.

“It’s been difficult living in a scary and sad situation away from friends, family and a culture that I know well. However, I don’t feel that my safety is at risk by being here,” Mester said. “Our onsite program directors have been extremely supportive and continue to clarify the situation for us. In addition, they have made it clear that they will arrange for any students who do not feel safe to return to the U.S. to finish classes.”