Medical School, Library host "Caring Break" for medical students

Medical students offered cookies, cocoa, cider, canines, chance to donate to local charity

<p>During the Medical School's Caring Break, students interacted with dogs in the Claude Moore Health Sciences Library, while gathering donations for the ASPCA.</p>

During the Medical School's Caring Break, students interacted with dogs in the Claude Moore Health Sciences Library, while gathering donations for the ASPCA.

The Medical School’s Annual 5Cs Caring Break allows University students to relax from the stress of exams with loving and comforting canines through University Health System’s pet therapy program.

At the Caring Break event Friday, cookies, cocoa, cider and canines were brought to the Claude Moore Health Sciences Library. The library, along with the Aid to Medical Students Committee, organized the event to gather donations for the local Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals.

Though this event included all years of medical students, first and second-year students made up the majority of those in attendance.

Kristine Bauer-Nilsel, a second-year Medical student, said the event was a tradition. Bauer-Nilsel said she had a therapy dog growing up whom she took to various similar events.

First-year Medical student Blake Rosenbaum, Class of 2019 representative of the Aid to Medical Students Committee, said the events and programs the Committee puts on each year allow for a “break from stress and rigors.”

The committee represents a purely student-run organization “committed to promoting student well-being” at the Medical School, and puts on annual events aimed at promoting “all aspects of student wellness through balance and involvement,”according to the committee’s website.

“[Caring Break helps] to establish a wholesome community,” Rosenbaum said.