What Adele’s new song is really about

Forget all that romance nonsense

By now, if you haven’t heard Adele’s new song, it’s safe to assume you live under a rock. If you are one of the few people at this school who hasn’t heard it, come over to my apartment any time of the day to hear me belting it at the top of my lungs, much to my roommates’ chagrin. While most people probably know the lyrics by heart, a lot of people don’t know what Adele’s song is really about. To me, it’s pretty clear that Adele is actually not singing about lost love, but about the distance between our college and high school selves. Don’t believe me? Read on.

1. I’m in California (Virginia) dreaming about who we used to be, when we were younger and free.

I dream of the carefree, high school days when people couldn’t smell my stress from a mile away. Anytime there was an ounce of stress, I could force my cat to snuggle with me while I watched TV all day and consumed a pint of ice cream that magically did not cause weight gain. Now, there are no longer cat snuggles, guilt-free TV marathons or consequence-free bowls of ice cream.

2. There’s such a difference between us…and a million miles.

High school Avery, you’re so far away I almost forget what you’re like. Remind me what organized sports and commitment- and cost- free after-school clubs are like. Remind me what it’s like to have your mom do your laundry for you and have a fridge full of groceries that you didn’t pay for.

3. Did you ever make it out of that town where nothing ever happened?

This hypothetical question is posed to my high school self, and I imagine the response would be somewhat of a mockery. “No, I didn’t make it out and it’s amazing. I get home cooked meals every night, my days are done by 3 p.m. and I don’t rely on coffee to survive!”

4. I’m sorry for everything that I’ve done.

Loose translation: I’m sorry for gaining 15 pounds that will never disappear as long as I live. The body toned by a young metabolism and three seasons of high school sports was good while it lasted, and now all that’s left to do is mourn its loss and apologize for what could have been.

5. Hello from the other side.

High school Avery, greetings from the world where the sound of getting an email triggers anxiety. Do you even have an email address yet? Do deadlines exist in high school? The fact that I don’t ever remember having deadlines is remarkable considering my life is currently governed by them.

So, there you have it, my interpretation of what Adele’s song is truly about. I hope next time you hear it, which will mostly likely be in the next few hours, you will think back to your high school self and mostly stress-free days.

Avery’s column runs biweekly Wednesdays. She can be reached at a.moyler@cavalierdaily.com.