“Hymns” is drab stab at indie pop

British band goes too heavy on religion, misses mark

<p>Bloc Party's "Hymns" doesn't meet expectations.</p>

Bloc Party's "Hymns" doesn't meet expectations.

A decade ago, indie-rock and Brit-pop band Bloc Party ruled alternative charts worldwide with their creative and refreshing alternative dance sound, reviving indie disco with younger generations. Now, 10 years later, the band has released its much-anticipated fifth studio album, “Hymns.” The album, unfortunately, fails to meet the high hopes of the band’s devoted fanbase.

Despite being a band known for club-vibe and party music, “Hymns” is more likely to make you fall asleep than rush to the dance floor. The absence of original band members Matt Tong and Gordon Moakes is evidenced by the bland percussion and bass guitar, as well as the sparse backup vocals, for which Moakes was usually responsible. Without his vocals, the music feels one-dimensional and non-distinctive.

The first track on the album, “The Love Within,” is poppy and absorbing — but the listening experience only goes downhill from there. The opening track’s rhythmic beat is enhanced by strong keyboard and synth, but many of the following tracks, such as “Fortress” and “Different Drugs,” lack instrumental range and depth, as well as any sort of fun rhythm.

The album contains a few tracks that experiment with more musical range, such as “The Good News,” which has a twangy, country feel to it. Although this kind of sound is not one that many would expect from Bloc Party, at least it is fun and new to grasp, and not as sluggish as many of the other tracks.

Though lead singer Kele Okereke’s voice has matured beautifully with each album, it is not enough to carry the whole band, or change the fact that the tempo of this album is slow and pensive rather than creative and refreshing. Despite not being a devout Christian herself, Okereke weaves religion and evangelism throughout the album — hence the name “Hymns.” Tracks like “Only He Can Heal Me” are particularly spiritual, and sound more like a Christian rock album than a hip, indie pop band.

“Hymns” is closer to a Christian lullaby album than the soundtrack to a fun night out. Bloc Party fans may want to sit this one out and wait for the band to regain their past spunk.