BROOKS: Beyoncé’s musical activism is not novel

“Formation” does not evoke real social change

On Feb. 7, Beyoncé “broke the Internet.” By the 8th, one could not step foot on Grounds without hearing students discuss Beyoncé’s latest hit single, which was applauded by The Cavalier Daily for its “embrace of the forward thinking social politics of the black community.” While I applaud “Formation” for its outspokenness and visually striking imagery, I believe the public fascination with this video is a bit unwarranted.

Beyoncé is not the first celebrity to promote black pride, nor address issues affecting the African-American community. Indeed, in doing so, Beyoncé joins a litany of other artists who have publicly discussed race and identity in their music (many of whom have been doing so for most of their musical careers), ranging from modern artists such as Kendrick Lamar and Kanye West to Janelle Monaé, Tina Turner and Missy Elliot. While none of these artists enjoy the same level of prominence and influence — nor did they perform in front of 112 million people — I have to question why public reaction appears to treat Beyoncé’s musical activism in such a novel manner.

Perhaps this reaction is partially attributable to the number of high-profile critics of “Formation.” Former New York Mayor Rudolph Giuliani derided Beyoncé’s Super Bowl performance as “a platform to attack police officers.” He was not alone in his criticism. Congressman Peter King (R-NY) described Beyoncé’s performance as “anti-police” and “shameful,” while Fox & Friends co-host Steve Doocy criticized the song for being a “rallying cry for the Black Lives Matter movement.” In response to the latter comment, I must admit that while the content is not entirely new, I am glad Beyoncé chose to recognize the ongoing travails affecting the black community. When Beyoncé speaks, people listen and her activism may be just the kind of support needed to ensure the Black Lives Matter movement does not become one of the countless social movements to gradually die out before effecting any sort of noticeable change upon society.

Musical artists no doubt raise awareness concerning bigotry and prejudice, but all too often this attention is fleeting. After all the public outrage, protests and promises of change, people gradually return to their normal lives and the issue in question is forgotten. Nowhere is this more evident than in the case of Trayvon Martin, who was killed by a member of the neighborhood watch while walking home from a convenience store. Despite numerous protests and the support of many public figures — Kendrick Lamar went as far as to claim “I am Trayvon Martin”, and he depicted interracial violence as a recurring theme in his album “To Pimp a Butterfly” — Florida’s controversial Stand Your Ground law remains in effect, as well as in 22 other states around the country. Whether it be Stand Your Ground, voter identification laws or legislation weakening civil rights protections for the LGBT community, it is essential we prevent issues of such importance from being relegated to a passing social trend.

Perhaps this is where Beyoncé differs from other artists. Perhaps Beyoncé’s sudden outspokenness about these issues can evoke an effect that other artists simply cannot create. It’s no secret she and her husband enjoy a wide network of connections beyond the music industry, extending to the White House. Perhaps this connection is exactly what might make Beyoncé’s activism different from that of years past: her influence is not confined to her fan base. This is not to suggest Beyoncé should be seen as the face of the Black Lives Matter movement, nor that her actions alone are capable of combating the remnants of institutionalized racism in our society. But maybe Beyoncé’s activism is beneficial in another way. Perhaps her actions provides a temporary impetus for a civil rights movement in its infancy, a movement where the charismatic leadership of a King, Little or DuBois has yet to be found.

One performance does not evoke change. If Beyoncé truly wants to support the Black Lives Matter movement, she should continue to acknowledge ongoing social injustices in future public appearances, and she should encourage prominent personalities to support the movement. Beyoncé could also promote social justice efforts by promoting greater civic engagement. All too often, society appears to ignore the multiple avenues through which it can promote social justice politically. Writing to your local congressman or consistently voting in state and local elections are simple ways for the average citizen to influence public policy and combat ongoing inequalities. If the Civil Rights Movement has taught us anything, it’s that an active citizenry is fully capable of bringing about the change we seek in our societies.

Brandon Brooks is a Viewpoint writer.