Neuroscience research offered for non-majors for first time

Undeclared second-year student studies epileptic seizures

This semester, a new class called Neuroscience Research for Non-Majors is being offered. Biology professor George Bloom is the program director for this course and is intended for students conducting research in neuroscience who are not neuroscience majors.

Only a few students enroll in the class each semester, which is capped at 20 spots. In fact, this semester, only two students are currently enrolled in the course.

“The research ranges from purely behavioral to cellular, molecular, genetic and/or biochemical aspects of the brain,” Bloom said in an email statement.

One of the two students currently enrolled in the course is second-year College student Atisha Amin. Currently on the pre-med track, she is leaning toward a major in the sciences. Her motivation to pursue neuroscience research stems from an experience she had before coming to the University.

“I conducted a small brain cancer research project in high school and the topic deeply fascinated me,” Amin said in an email statement. “Therefore, I wanted to learn more about each of the fields individually.”

Neuroscience research at the University spans a wide range of basic and translational areas. Sensory systems, behavior, neurodegeneration, memory loss, addiction and motor systems are examples of areas within neuroscience that researchers at the University are involved in, according to the Biomedical Sciences Graduate Program site.

Amin conducts research about the effects of activated hippocampus neurons on epileptic seizures. Her interest in epilepsy and common brain diseases grew into a desire to also learn about the techniques used to study them. This combination was a major factor in deciding which lab to join.

“I chose this lab because along with Neurology, they have a large emphasis on biotechnology through imaging and quantification,” Amin said. “It allows me to explore several various biomedical fields as well.”

For Amin, her experience thus far has taught her about the value of being involved in research, and has given her a unique perspective on active learning.

“I have learned so much about using state-of-the-art imaging technology to image each of the sliced brains and observe neurons with the help of my lab mentors,” Amin said. “Research can provide a very hands-on way of learning what may seem like a mundane concept on paper, and is extremely valuable in expanding one's learning horizons.”

Furthermore, Amin’s involvement in research has guided her path of study at the University.

“I believe that joining this lab has helped me clarify and get a better sense of what major to choose — it has given me a path to reach my destination,” Amin said.