“Outlander” continues to impress

Second season of time-traveling drama packs emotional punch

<p>Season two takes "Outlander" to the stunning 18th Century&nbsp;Paris.</p>

Season two takes "Outlander" to the stunning 18th Century Paris.

The return of “Outlander” provided two premieres in one, spanning two countries and two centuries. Last season, Claire Randall Fraser (Caitriona Balfe) traveled in time from the 1940s to 18th-century Scotland, falling in love with Scottish highlander Jamie Fraser (Sam Heughan) in the process. In this season two premiere, Claire returns to her husband in the mid-20th century, although this return is unceremonious, as Claire longs for the life and love she left behind.

In the second half of the premiere, the show picked up right where it left off last season with Claire and Jamie headed to France to try and prevent the Jacobite Rebellion that could end Scottish life as they knew it.

“Outlander” continues to be one of the most compelling shows on television, with a romance for the ages, complex characters and compelling political intrigue. Though the audience knows the outcome of Claire and Jamie’s efforts within the first minute of the show, the journey up to that point remains riveting.

Caitriona Balfe is the heart of the show with her magnetic performance as Claire. She is able to showcase the stark contrast between Claire’s devastation in 1948 and her optimism in 1743. “Outlander” is told through her eyes — it is her story and she tells it well. Balfe also continues to have excellent chemistry with Jamie, and their scenes together are the highlights of the show.

Tobias Menzies, however, is the unsung hero of “Outlander,” playing Frank Randall, Claire’s 20th-century husband. Frank is put in an impossible situation — after so desperately wanting his wife back, her return is tainted by the ghost of Claire’s long-dead love. Menzies’s performance is layered and complex, and he expertly shifts between Frank’s joy, despair, anger and acceptance. It is impossible to not sympathize with Frank, and that credit goes largely to Menzies.

Production design in the world of “Outlander” continues to be top-notch, creating an immersive and visually stunning world. Eighteenth-century France comes to life with detailed sets and sumptuous costumes fit for a royal court. Conversely, the bleakness of 1940s Scotland is apparent in the drab sets and subdued clothing.

“Outlander” hits the ground running in the season opener, and the rest of the season looks promising. With a new location come new troubles and new enemies to be made. At one point, Jamie remarks to Claire, “Life with you is certainly never dull,” which is also an apt way to sum up the show. Life in “Outlander” is never dull, and it is something that shouldn’t be missed.